Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What you must do

“You mustn’t wish for another life. You mustn’t want to be somebody else. What you must do is this:
“Rejoice evermore.
Pray without ceasing.
In everything give thanks.”

I am not all the way capable of so much, but those are the right instructions.”
    Wendell Berry

I am still very weary from my Maryland trip so I will keep this short and unemotional. The report on my fusion and decompression is good.  I am healing.  My pressure issues will need to be controlled long term (Dr. Henderson's words were "the rest of your life") with a low dose steroid, a corticosteroid and aspirin.  My remaining symptoms and the radiologic findings of my thoracic and lumbar spine point to a number of issues that need to be resolved surgically.  These include dural ectasia and increased cerebrospinal fluid at the thoracic spine.  At the thoracolumbar junction there is 30 degrees kyphosis on forward flexion which is very abnormal.  I have a syrinx in my lower thoracic spinal cord, scoliosis, and a 6mm Tarlov cyst in my lumbar spine.  For all of you who are not well versed in neurosurgery and orthopedic surgery these things in addition to my neurogenic bladder point loud and clear to the need for tethered cord surgery sooner than later.

I am scheduled for surgery on March 28th.  It will require 3 days of hospitalization flat on my back and then 4 more days in Maryland to watch for complications and follow up with Dr. Henderson.  Like so many times before I sit here typing the reality of our life not knowing how God will provide to meet these new challenges.  The difference is I have come to expect great things.  I really do. 

Until He makes the provision clear I will follow the right instructions.  REJOICE.  PRAY.  GIVE THANKS.  REJOICE.  PRAY.  GIVE THANKS.  REJOICE.  PRAY.  GIVE THANKS. 

Our hope remains. 

1 comment:

  1. I have had the pleasure of having Danica in class two times in the past few weeks. She is so caring and such a sweetheart! This week we talked about Jacob and how he worked for 14 years. We talked about how we can use our hands productively. I put hands on the board and asked each child to tell me one thing they can do with their hands that is productive. Your sweet girls had me write "Hugs for mommy" She is precious and I enjoy her in my class!
    -Jenn Branch

    ReplyDelete