Thursday, July 28, 2011

Providence and promises


"Remember that in the providences of God the believer is passive, but with regard to the promises of God he is active. In the one case he is to “be still” and know that God reigns, and that the “Judge of all the earth must do right.” In the other, his faith, childlike, unquestioning, and unwavering, is to take hold of what God says, and of what God is, believing that what He has promised He is also able and willing to perform. This is to be “strong in faith, giving glory to God.” Octavius Winslow

It's been fifteen months since Danica has had a neck free from some kind of collar or brace. She is just now allowed to remove it for physical therapy. I took this photo today at her session. To see her delicate throat and neck so straight and so strong makes me buckle in the knees and weep. Oh how we have collectively hoped and prayed with each one of you for God to heal our girl. We have passively watched for His perfect will in Danica's young life. All the while we have actively claimed His promises of provision and grace and strength as we waited. Could we ever give Him enough glory?

As I type this I am wincing in pain from a back injury. I can truly barely function. I pulled something Sunday lifting my girl, and it has gone from bad to worse. I once again want to ask Him "Why?" in the same breath as praising Him. My soul cries, "How much is enough, Lord? What are you trying to accomplish through me in this place of constant physical hurt that breaks my spirit and grieves my heart?"

Tomorrow Dan will have surgery at Mercy Medical Center. We will be there at 7am for his pre-scans and his surgery will be at 9am. He has been suffering extreme abdominal pain and other symptoms for months. Finally last week they found three kidney stones, two on the right side and one very large 17mm one on the left. After the surgery he will have a stent in place and try to pass the pieces they will break up during his procedure. He will be off work next week and experiencing a good deal of discomfort until the stent will be removed.

I know we've asked a hundred times for prayer. Humbly, we ask you again to lift us up. And please don't forget to thank our God for Danica's continued healing. His promises are true. He is always good. Our hope remains.

One of our "theme songs". It's on repeat today.

No comments:

Post a Comment