Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Never disappointed

" . . . We also have joy with our troubles, because we know that these troubles produce patience. And patience produces character, and character produces hope . . . " Romans 5:3,4

It might sound like a broken record by now, but we are hanging in there, and yes, even rejoicing. My surgery on Friday went very well. I finally spoke to Dr. Falcone this morning about the pathology and all the work he did. His words, "There was endometriosis EVERYWHERE." He did extensive removal in the intestinal area even some resectioning and stitching where he could not plane the disease off. The extreme pain I was in was most likely coming from the growth through my bowel and rectum. He removed my appendix. I am more emotional after speaking with him. I am so thankful I did not wait to have this surgery. There were several times I almost cancelled because I just didn't think our family could go through this recovery right now. I now know it was a critical decision and thank God for guiding me to Cleveland Clinic and to this doctor. Dr. Falcone truly believes he got all the disease.

I am very sore from having so many incisions and internal trauma. I really hate taking narcotics, so today I am trying to just manage on the Motrin so I can think more clearly and sleep less. I am not allowed to lift anything for several weeks, and I feel like this recovery is perhaps even more tenuous than my hysterectomy. I really need this to "stick." I will have a follow up appointment in a few weeks to talk about how we can move forward and try to prevent the return of the endometriosis. I can tell you I am willing to do anything to keep this stuff from growing back, so if the next time you see me I'm on a crazy no sugar, wheat or meat diet you will understand how desperately I never want to get back to that place of pain again. The Cleveland Clinic has a great deal of experience with advanced cases like mine, so I am hopeful and will do whatever they suggest to get my health back.

The girls had a good weekend with my parents. My mom was not feeling well, and she said it was like an angel descended over those two sweethearts. I can tell Dan is already very fatigued from doing everything the last twenty-four hours. Danica becomes so frustrated with wanting me to care for her. We have been codependent for so long, and it hurts both of us to be away from one another. I know she is just downstairs, but I feel like I need to see her and know she is okay. It is the same for her with me.

Two weeks from today we will be in Cincinnati. It will be a critical trip. Danica will have her first MRI under sedation since her decompression to check for any herniation and for CSF flow. She will also have another x-ray and God willing finally be able to move from the Minerva brace to a sturdier Aspen collar and more mobility. In our minds and hearts there is only a positive outcome for these scans. We visualize our lives becoming something easier . . . anything easier than what this past winter has been . . . this past year has been. I was right in my last post about the little tease of spring. There's so much snow outside today, and it is so cold, but I refuse to feel discouraged today.

" . . . And this hope will never disappoint us, because God has poured out his love to fill our hearts. He gave us his love through the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to us." Romans 5:5 This hope will never disappoint us. NEVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment