Thursday, February 10, 2011

Still dancing . . .

"I know nothing, except what everyone knows--if there when Grace dances, I should dance." W.H. Auden

Ten years ago today Dan and I were married in Leesburg, Virginia. We said traditional vows and had no idea what promising a lifetime of love would really cost us. About four years in I lost my way, and I know now that Dan's forgiveness was the first taste of REAL GRACE I ever knew. He showed me God's love.

Well ‘I do’ are the two most famous last words
The beginning of the end
But to lose your life for another I’ve heard is a good place to begin
Cause the only way to find your life is to lay your own life down
And I believe it’s an easy price for the life that we have found


Dan and I renewed our wedding vows in June, 2006 in a beautiful outdoor ceremony. Instead of reciting our original vows we decided to write our own. Towards the end of mine I reflected, " . . . I love that I have this opportunity to make these promises to you again knowing so much more today about what commitment really means and what love truly is. Dan, you are my prince. You are my gift from God. I pray each day for the grace to be the wife you deserve. Most recently I am reminded that perhaps the most beautiful thing about your love is how strong and true it has always been even when my heart has wavered. As we continue our journey as husband and wife and as a family know that more than ever this love is what gives meaning and purpose to my life, and if I do nothing else but love you and Delaney well IT WILL HAVE BEEN ENOUGH."

So when I lose my way, find me
When I lose loves chains, bind me
At the end of all my faith
to the end of all my days
when I forget my name, remind me


Little did we know on that June night how important the renewing of our vows would become over the next years. After Danica was conceived, and we fought for her life and mine and sent Delaney away to live here in Ohio there were times we were a moment away from falling apart. I don't think we ever really caught our breath before this Chiari journey began. There was a time even last year when we didn't know if our marriage would survive this minefield. Thank you for praying for us.

Cause we bear the light of the son of man
So there’s nothing left to fear
So I’ll walk with you in the shadow lands
Till the shadows disappear
Cause he promised not to leave us
And his promises are true
So in the face of all this chaos baby
I can dance with you


I can tell you the love lessons and the grace lessons we have learned through our challenges are proving to be our greatest blessings and remind us to ENDURE and keep dancing no matter how dangerous it seems.

Oh this is harder than we dreamed
But I believe that’s what the promise is for
That’s what the promise is for


No comments:

Post a Comment